KASOWY – PZKO HALL
Hall was built between two world wars by local polish community with contribution of Raiffeisen Bank, which set thrift institution there. Hall remained almost in the same shape until the end of 20th century. Only the basement was adjusted for gastronomical and sanitary purposes in 80’s. Building expanded from the street side and backyard side. During late wood years, stone and traditional woodcarving were used to obtain regional character of the hall. This resulted in unique atmosphere inside of the hall. Kitchen, sanitary rooms, auditorium and windows were also modernized.
Main goal is to obtain traditional architectonical shape of building. As there is another traditional wooden building close to the hall, actual project aims to harmonize hall building with surrounding and to create lovely centre of the highland village. For this purpose, there will be traditional shape of the roof, covering imitating shingle and possibly a lot of wooden details. Along with neighbouring church it will create wonderful area on the background of Beskidy mountains.
To this date the hall composes of large auditorium along with stage and technical and gastronomical backrooms. Modernization of coffee bar in the basement took place in 2016.
There is great need for additional rooms, which would be used for various courses, workshops and seminars. This is also included in actual project. The building will expand vertically and horizontally, so new will be gained and used as changing rooms, catering background and exhibition or administrative rooms.
MOSTY – BRIEF HISTORY
Village was formed at the turn of XVI and XVII century and is situated in the middle of Beskidy mountains, on both sides of Jablunkov Col (550 m n.p.m.) which is also so called river crossing. From this point northern rivers flow to Baltic Sea as southern rivers flow to Black sea.
There were to decisive facts forming the village. First of them is obvious importance of Jablunkov Col, which is the lowest point of western Carpates. Way through this col is the easiest and quickest connection between northern and southern Europe trading centres. Massive logging in the past was second important factor of village raising. As wood was used for building bulwarks, palisades, soldiers barracks and as a fuel, manors began to raise on empty fields. Pastures and farming fields were formed on smaller spaces (Studziyniczne, Muszorka etc.).
Name of the village comes from word ,,moszczenie”, which means laying wooden pales on muddy road. Road leading through Jablunkov Col was known from middle ages as Amber Way. It because roman tradesmen used to bring amber from Baltic sea this way. In middle ages it was called Copper Road, because of transport of copper from Slovakian territory to Wroclaw and further west. Later it was also used by Silesian tradesmen and it was called ,,furmaniec” (carter road) then. Road through Osietnica to Witaliszow (little ground elevation from which tradesmen were awaited) is part of ancient ,,furmaniec”.
Battle of Mohacs in 1526 was main impulse of building the bulwarks on terrain of future village. King of Czechia and Hungary Ludvik Jagiellonian died here, and as the result of his death region of Slask Cieszynski went under the rule of Habsburgs. At this time Turks began to foray middle Europe. First mention of so called ,,old bulwarks” comes from 1578. Remains of bulwarks are nowadays part of village Svrcinovec in Slovakia.
New bulwarks were formed in 1961 on place where it remains to date. First it was occupied by hired soldiers. However they treated locals worse than enemy and were dismissed the same year. They were replaced by local highlanders (gorole), so called ,,chosen”. Most of highlanders came from Mosty. Even thou they should have received wages for they duty, they usually ended up with mere promises. It was just to confirm that there is never enough money for anything. Around 1640 smaller bulwarks were built in Hrcava and Koniakow, which were later connected with bulwarks in Mosty by additional defence points, so called redoubts. Important rebuilding took place in 1663, when danger of Turks attack was becoming serious. After the battle of Vienna in 1683, where Turks were defeated, significance of bulwarks decreased. Last essential rebuilding took place during 1724-1729. At that times it was shaped as we can see it today. Bulwarks were used also during Austrian-Prussian war (1740-1763). At this time the place was conquered by Prussian army, which was ahead of Austrian army, considering technique and discipline. However Prussian army never hold the bulwarks for long time as it wasn’t place of main battles. Last crew of 12 members occupied bulwarks until revolution in 1848.
Some important dates from history of Mosty:
1621 First mention of local voyt Jan Dubowski, who was also Vlachian voivod
1647 Adam Kohut set first sheep shed where he kept 165 sheeps
1736-1799 building of so called ,,emperors road”
1767 First village signet-blade
1785 Catholic church was build
1786 First school was build
1836 Insurgency in Mosty- highlanders destroyed margin points which restricted access to the woods
1867-1871 Building of railway Kosice-Bohumin
1914-1917 Building of second tunnel
1936 Polish house was build (today PZKO hall)
26 of August 1939 Second World War